Sunday, July 27, 2014

God's not Dead

Good news to fans of Christian movies, Gateway Church will be screening them more in the near future. I had the pleasure of watching God's not Dead on the big screen. It was not a pleasure because it was an awesome movie, on the contrary, it was horrible but I get to that soon.
Gateway now has a Facebook page for all the info if you want to check out the next movie. I sure hope they are getting the viewing license for these films. I will check into this and get back to you. If they are not, I will fight for them to do this right. These movie makers deserve their money. I talking $200 and all is good.
*edit* It has been confirmed that licensing is being paid for movies shown and to be shown. 
What do I think about God's Not Dead? First of all, Dean "Superman" Cain and Kevin "Hercules" Sorbo are in it. They do as good a job as they ever have but they never share any screen time. A waste of opportunity if I ever saw. Here's the trailer so you can get a taste of what I'm talking about here.



Summary provide by IMDB: College philosophy professor Mr. Radisson's curriculum is challenged by his new student, Josh, who believes God exists.

This was the core story and it was well done. There were a lot. I mean a lot of subplots that really didn't add to the movie and with time and care could be developed into interesting movies themselves but here in this movie, it's too much. The movie is nearly two hours long and I felt every moment. The screenplay is really good and would only be better with some editing and getting down to the core of the movie.
My best problem with Christian movies is usually the story but this was well done. The next problem with Christian movies is the cinematography. This movie does not pass the grade. It's shot very straight forward with very little creativity and the coloring is drab. It looks a lot like a TV movie. It could be because of budget restraints but that shouldn't kill creativity. They should take a lesson from Robert Rodriguez. He does so much on the cheap.
I must also warn you that there at least 3 scenes that will make you cry. Hats off to the director for pulling that emotional hat trick. I think they were too close together and too often and I felt manipulated.
Overall, this is not an awful movie in the Christian Movie spectrum. I give it 3.75 out of 5. But that is only in the context of being a Christian movie. As a movie alone? Horrible. Pass on this unless you are a big fan of Dean Cain or Kevin Sorbo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave. Yes, Gateway has secured licensing for these films. Steve Hayes is organizing it.

    ReplyDelete